Blogger Widgets

Friday, August 10, 2012

Stolen Moments



                     
Shyam, a newspaper guy checked the time, ‘oh its 8:10. I am late, I should have delivered paper to “Aalap” by now’ he engrossed in thoughts and started striding. His feet stopped as he reached commodious white bungalow. Every morning he sees it, he is implicated in peering enormity and its magnificence as well. He found it equally amazing every time.

He pulled thick thread of bell, the bell was jangling. It was real bell which is generally used in school and at temples. He still remembered how amused he was when he had heard that chime for first time. Shyam was waiting for her to open the door, meanwhile he was peering the nameplate. It was unlike others but very artistic. Name was written using musical notations… though it was tough to recognize it at glimpse, it was innovative.

After couple of minutes his fervour crossed the peak, he wanted to wish her for such a great news. Suddenly one middle aged lady of around 50 years old, opened the door. Fair complexion lady was wearing cream coloured sari, her long hair were open and wet indicating she was just done with her bath, her wrinkled face had attractive features… serenity was flowing through her eyes with sweet smile, her appearance was simply virtuous. But she exclaimed with the sweetest thing she had that’s her voice, “oh shyam , it’s you! I thought, it must be…” shyam interrupted her by saying “congratulations madam! I read the news .you really deserve it” and handed over newspaper. She expressed gratitude by saying thanks and they exchanged smiles. She closed the door with disappointment. She sat on couch and started to read the newspaper.

It was her daily routine to wake up early in the morning and to do riyaz (practising vocals) , getting fresh and later get to know what’s happening around the globe. She checked the headline then her eyes rolled to bottom of the page, she noticed her photo with caption,  “SAVITRI  PATHAK : Winner Of Lata Mangeshakar Award ” . Her lips exhibited satisfactory smile and purity enhanced her beauty. As soon as she started reading article of her own journey towards that award, bell rang again. Her face was enlightened more than that of when she saw her own news in paper. Certainly she was waiting for someone very special indeed close one.

Savitri hastily opened the door; this time her expectant eyes perceived something astounding, one person was holding big bouquet of crimson carnations by covering upper half of his body. She was delighted at that moment. She adored carnations more than anyone else did.  She was sure that it has to be him, who else knew her better than him. All of sudden that person took down the bouquet and uttered “congratulation savitri! It’s so nice to see you after long time”.


Person’s face was visible to savitri now….she was disheartened again, because he was not the one for whom she was waiting for. Man standing near the door of aalap was around same age as that of savitri’s. Middle-aged man wearing white kurta and blue jeans had average looks with light brown complexion and curly long hair with thick framed specs; in short he had typical journalist looks.

Savitri’s displeasure turned into confusion because she didn’t know that guy. Man captured her expressions and again spoke “hey I know you must have forgotten me. You had to because we were only 20 when we saw each other for last time” she kept mum and tried to pressurize her brain. But she couldn’t succeed. Rather she was more confused now. Finally stereotype man took charge to introduce himself “Hi, I am Dushayant, we were together in degree college”. At last savitri recollected him. ‘Yeah he is the same guy who used to be with him’ She broke her silence “oh dushaynt ! I am so sorry, I really couldn’t recognise you. Thanks a lot” she accepted bouquet and invited him to come inside.

Dushaynt entered into aalap. Savitri went to kitchen. He was astonished by what he had seen. ‘this exactly how she wanted her dream home to be’ he thought. He sat on sofa and started scrutinizing living room. He noticed violin shaped wall clock, big showcase almost occupied with trophies and certificates. Sitar adjacent to Statue of saraswati devi. His eyes further relocated to other side. He observed wall full of photo frames. Photos of savitri with one man, he noticed gold chain with heart shaped pendant hanging on wall in between the frames. savitri intruded his inspection by offering him glass of water and sat on sofa in front of him. He took glass and drank sip of water.

She initiated the chat by general inquiry “where have you been? I didn’t see you after our farewell party”. Dushyant replied by keeping glass on tray “I got busy in my career so couldn’t make up time for friends” she continued her inquiry like typical women do “How did you get my address? I never expected that we would meet like these”. He tried to reveal clandestine “well it’s never difficult to track celebrity u know.”  They both laughed over it, he clarified further “I was passing by your house and of course I came to know about that news yesterday so I thought it would be good opportunity to give you my wishes”. She smiled with elegance while getting up and said “I will get coffee for us, wait for few minutes, I will be back”. He nodded in affirmation.

 She left living room and entered in kitchen, she was humming and smiling due to series of surprises from last night. 1st it was about that honourable award and now about Dushayant. But she was still unaware of what’s ensuing in her life. Her destiny had planned something for her, something dreadful, and something uninvited….

Meanwhile dushayant again started gazing at that heart shaped locket, he looked here and there. His face turned blank, he hurriedly got up and walked toward that wall, it was clear that something outlandish was on his mind. He pulled out chain out of nail on the wall which was surrounded by savitri’s memories and placed in his jeans pocket. He still wasn’t done with what he had decided, he moved away from that way and directed left to the table where statue of sarswati was kept. He took out one envelope from pocket of his kurta. He put on that table near to statue.

His agitation was lastly terminated, he settled back on sofa. He popped his hand in pocket and grabbed out handkerchief to wipe out his sweating face. Savitri showed up after few minutes, she was so naive that couldn’t grasp alteration at that place so quickly. She stepped forward with tray having two mugs of coffee and by that time he had relaxed and got time to make up like nothing had happened. They both had coffee and conversed for next few minutes. 

Dushayant stood up to take a leave. He again congratulated her and wished her for future n left aalap by leaving prints for many queries to credulous sweet lady……

                  
 Savitri was watching the sky, staring at stars innocently. It was quandary to state that who was more beautiful; The Sky with full moon and shining stars or the lady gazing at them. She had worn plane red sari, even though she was not wearing much accessories she was looking simply awesome. Her matching bangles and small red bindi on forehead had enriched her prettiness. But best ornament she had worn and which completed her womanhood was mangalasutra. She had held it close to her heart with her left hand.

Her heed got distracted due to vibration; She had held cell phone in another hand tightly as she had been waiting for that special person to buzz off. At last that moment had arrived; she swiftly turned her eyes to the screen. It was text message saying “I will be there in few minutes”. She smiled softly and checked the time it was 8:30pm. Exactly 12 hours ago Dushyant showed up and since the time she was waiting for that special one...

She again looked up at sky, it was dark and azure. All stars were clearly discernible and full moon was glowing. She was sitting at river bank. The river bank was evident of every significant event her life. She started raking at the water; it was steady exactly like her life. She had everything she wanted from her destiny; But its human tendency to intrude stable things. She leaned forward; picked few pebbles in one hand and began chucking them one by one still water. She simply loved to see those ripples but she had no clue that as she was disquieting reflection of moon likewise her equanimity was also going to be disturbed because of forthcoming commotion.

She was done with all tiny stones. As soon as she opened her bag to grab handkerchief to scour her hands, her eyes riveted at brown envelope. She quickly elicited her handkerchief and cleaned her hands then again diverted her march at that envelope. 


It was the same envelope left by dushayant. She recalled everything happened in the morning, while Morning Prayer she had noticed it on the table. She was surprised when she perceived it but then she picked it up and read cover message. It was clear that dushyant had left it behind; but picture became clearer when she read text displayed on it. At top savitri’s name visible and at centre it was written “SHOULD ONLY BE READ AT 9 PM, STRICTLY NOT BEFORE THAT”. She got curious due to unusual remark of the time, she felt like reading it at that moment itself but she was really matured lady. She controlled her eagerness and put it back on the table and while leaving home in the evening she took it with her.

She reread the message displayed in bold letters; she shrugged and inserted it back in her handbag. She rested her right elbow on her knee by supporting her chin by palm. Once more time her waiting session continued for someone special…

Few minutes passed, she heard sound of footsteps. Her head turned to clench the moment she had been waiting for quite long. Tall man approached savitri. He was well apparelled with white shirt and black pant. Almost same aged guy had eye-catching personality; his wrinkled face was not only bright but also appealing. Only peculiar feature he had that was about his hair because he didn’t have any, he was bald.

Savitri got up to greet him; she was highly delighted due to his appearance. She was smiling like a small kid. She finally spoke up “Hi Anil, where were you? ” and she started complaining alike every wife does “I was here since an hour and you have come now” she tried to illustrate counterfeit resentment. Anil seemed bit sombre; he tried to respond her exactly the way she wanted him to be, after all Anil was uvula but as to pacify woman in 1st attempt is unmanageable. She neglected his apology for being late and his wishes for award.

Quiet lady had totally transformed into aggressive television reporter, was chiding her husband without even taking breath. Her emotions were about to upsurge “you know I was waiting for your wishes since last light and you are congratulating me now. Couldn’t even mention it in the text?  Just wrote that see you at ashoka vihar at 8.thats it!!! ” sweet female singer was trying get angry on him and poor husband could hardly answer. She was talking continuously; she had to. After all they were seeing each other after 2 months.

Later like every better half does, she enumerated her queries in row “when did your flight land? I came to know it was in morning so what were doing you doing whole day? ”. Anil preferred to stay silent throughout because before he could answer she asked the utmost awaited and scariest question for him “what has happened to your hair Anil?”

He couldn’t dare to answer any of her questions. He was standing like a statue, his face was impassive. He was about to confront biggest veracity of their lives that night. 

At last he broke monologue and tried to clarify “I was busy in some work so couldn’t come home. Now I am done every job of mine” suddenly anil’s tone became severe, savitri noticed it and again inquired about his hair. But still he had no guts to answer that question.

So he did something at which every man has to be skilful, he couldn’t answer so he just switched the topic to get rid of existing issue. He altered focus to award ceremony. Savitri innocently started conveying every tiny detail. while narrating it reminded her of dushayant . She drew out envelope from her hand bang and continued “you know dushayant? The guy who used to be with you during our junior college days” and paused for anil’s feedback…

Anil just nodded his head so she sustained her recitation “He had come home today and left these behind for me” showed him that envelope with muddled face; He took it. “ I guess it’s right time for you to read it, clock’s ticking 9” stated by checking his wrist watch.

Savitri was amused by his reply; he directed to read it without even reading that cover message. She was too much messed up due to sequence of astonishments. It started from envelope then anil was being vanished entire day and then his hair and now this!

She was so tired that evaded further interrogation and unobtrusively opened the mysterious envelope; old piece of folded paper was inside it. Anil’s heart was beating fast. It was the time; and he had to face it. She still didn’t have vague hint of imminent turmoil in her life.

As she started reading epistle; it brought her 30 years back…. At exact same place, same time, exactly same couple and anil’s voice started echoing in her mind with every word she uttered….

My Dear savitri,
       Sorry I dared to call you mine at the start but I want you to be mine not only at the start but till the end of my life. I want to spend rest of my life with you…

       You know savi every guy in our class is really amazed by your beauty initially I was one of them. But when I came to know you as a person I realized you are more beautiful than you look and I fell in love with you.

     Every excruciating detail about you makes me go crazy.  I like the way you smile, the way you talk… every damn thing you do….

    I want to be with you, I want to share your sorrows and want to make you happy, I still remember how you had elaborated your dream home in essay. I want to make that home for you….

       Being with you seems like a dream, I haven’t experienced dream coming true yet….will you help to make it happen? Will you be love of my life? 


Savitri was done with reading whatever was visible on that old paper. Her bewilderment and confusion crooked it contentment as she had become young girl again who was being marvellously proposed… she couldn’t stop smiling….

Maybe she was smiling for the last time; she was not going to have single reason to smile anymore….

That old paper was not fully opened yet; last fold at bottom had still concealed all answers of savitri’s questions. She resumed to the present and her mind again busted with curiosity that why Dushyant dropped this letter at her home…

She was about talk about her doubts and Anil grabbed her emotions. He told her to unfold the letter at bottom and that’s what she exactly did without asking anything as she wanted know everything as soon she could .What she saw next was startling….

It was signed by Dushyant! 

Her mind got numb. She wasn’t able to react anymore. So it was time for anil to take initiative to elucidate because she needed moreover deserved it to know actuality. And certainly he did. He took deep breath and started prevalent confession of his life.

“Whatever you read is true, yeah it was written by dushyant and he meant every word of it.Savi I always wanted let you to know these but didn’t have guts but now when you know the fact I won’t hide anything from you.”

Savitri was not able to believe in what her ears had just heard. But anil’s wasn’t done with his speech yet. There were many things she should had been known long back…which was going to change her life …

“As you know I and Dushayant were best friends. He used to love you but he was under confidant because of his looks and family background so once I had suggested him to express his feelings through letter and he did. He gave me to read and to let him know whether it was ok or not. I never returned it back. He had told me that he was going to propose you here by saying whatever you read just now. He also wanted to gift chain having heart shaped pendant which could open and he wanted fix his and your photos inside it. As he didn’t have money, I promised him to help financially. 

One day I was talking to my friends about that and they planned a prank over it. They told me to replace him and to check your reaction. That’s what I did savi. I proposed you the way dushayant was going to do after our fair well party. When I proposed you, you were thrilled and you spontaneously accepted it. I enjoyed that moment of victory not of love. I just let some days pass and I had decided to tell you truth but it was too late, I was already in love with you. But fact was not going to change that the time we spent was stolen moments of best friend. I ditched him when he needed me the most. For which obliviously I had to get punished someday so now that time has arrived, I uncannily played with your and his emotions and now destiny is playing with me. I am being punished for my sins” 

Savitri was stunned. She had nothing to say. She was shivering; she never knew that she would ever face such upheaval in her smooth going life. Her nerves were frozen. She didn’t know how to react … what to react…

Whereas Anil was candidly going on with his catharsis. It was somewhat clear that anil was yet to reveal many more mysteries… so he continued again

“Savi As you know I had been to landon for last couple of months but it wasn’t business tour. I had been undergoing through medical treatment. I am at last stage of leukaemia. I have no chance of survival left. I know your love for me is so immense that I didn’t want to sadden you. I have few days left to live, I am guilty savi. Please forgive me. I stole precious moments from my friend which I really didn’t deserve. But that doesn’t mean that I never loved you or I never cared for you. I know I left you alone many times for my career but I had no clue that later I won’t have time to spend with you. I want to spend last days of my life with you and I want you to restart your life after my death….”

Gradually tears started rolling down from anil’s eyes. He tried hard to control himself and paused. Now finally savitri was facing all facts one by one. Few more were still to come up…
Anil drew out chain with heart shaped pendant, yeah the same chain which was lifted by dushyant in the morning from aalap; he threw it in water on very next moment. Savtri was silently witnessing anil’s each and every move. She had seen enough to be traumatized. Now her emotionless face was just expecting him explain justification of his recent action…

“I know I don’t have any more right on it so I had to do it. You must be wondering about how I got that chain. Actually I met dushyant yesterday in my flight. It was complicated situation for me to face him after so long time. But he commenced the talk and I came across worst thing I could possibly think of. He never got married because he still loves you. I was really shocked and embarrassed. I apologised to him for my deeds. He said that savitri has everything she wanted, he didn’t want anything else. He would forgive me at one condition that I should always keep you happy so at last I had to tell him about my illness. I took him to my old apartment and gave him that envelope which I should have given him long back. I told him to leave it at our place and get that chain because I had couldn’t gather courage to face you whole day; I had been making my mind. Just before an hour I met him and expressed my feelings about taking care of you after me…

Savi I really love you. I want you to spend rest of your life with the person who really loves you. And trust me dushyant is that person. No one can love you like he does. He will always be with you unlike me but please don’t leave me in last phase of journey of my life. You were with me at my good and bad times, be with me till I take my last breath and please forgive me for those stolen moments!!! Will you?

Anil was entreating to her and savitri was still speechless, she didn’t know how to react and what to react…..

_______________________________________________________________




P.S: The story is a piece of imagination and resemblance to any person dead or alive is purely coincidental.

13 comments:

  1. Mahn!!!! Great work,.,.,. I was so into it while reading that I forgot about my surroundings. Sujal Wade I am proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh Sujal I'm glad that you finally permitted me to post your story, and now you see for yourself its liked by so many...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks nitish :) and thanks a lot aditya sir for motivating me, i couldn't do it with out your support :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sujal it is my pleasure to get a writer like u on my blog... :)

      Delete
  4. @sujal.......nice work lady :)
    glad you could come out the box of denial.....

    great story....... great angles of visual.... good choice of words..... (I liked this part because even if you used some rich words....... one could figure out the meaning without having to get a dictionary....... such was the writing pattern.... )

    keep writing more...... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for d compliment !!!
      and i am glad that you liked it... :)

      Delete
  5. Atishay sundar!!!! Beautiful work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome.....1nce again.....no doubt.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks everybody who liked and shared my story...
    @aditya sir, special thanks to u for encouraging me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. engrossing!
    the series of events were pretty good!
    good work Sujal!
    keep it up! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you like the post, please feel free to write your review and suggestion here. I will be glad to hear from you.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Blogger Wordpress Gadgets