Blogger Widgets

Sunday, August 26, 2012

One Fine Sunday


 “Wake up dear its 10. How much are you going to sleep? Even kumbhakaran would have got complex if he would be alive now” mom was yelling from kitchen. It was not enough of cessation my sugar sleep that evil member of my family took charge to exasperate me by playing stupid basshunter’s song vociferously.

 “Stopover that non sense else I’ll smash your that music player you monster” I shouted at my younger brother by wrapping my head snugly by my super soft pillow. He did unerringly what he shouldn’t have done. He dragged my bed sheet and commenced exhorting “Di get up now, else I’ll have to call dad then he’ll see you better”. This was contravention of limits; he blackmailed me! I had to rouse nonetheless to retort him.


I was getting infuriated, I coveted that moment how better it would have been if I could have a switch, to ON or OFF my audibility. Nonetheless it was not possible so I tried harder to overlook it and slip back in my blanket.

But then I had to get up to bout snoopier sibling. But before I did few things of my daily wake up routine; checked my alarm clock, it was ticking 10:05. It didn’t resonated that morning as it was my favourite Sunday morning. Flipped daily calendar it displayed 26. That’s my much-loved task to turn it over to change the date by my own.

I vindictively moved toward him, it was pretty sure that my anger was about to burst hence upshot was manifested that he was going to get miffed very hard. But then the expectedly mom intruded to save her adored rather spoiled brat like when soldier takes charge to defend their king when he is been condemned by opponents.

“Go get freshen up and you know na today’s is Sunday, it’s our family get-together, you have to do lot of shopping” mom ordered by dispelling our forthcoming dissension. I must say no one can beat my mom in diverting our fights. I was quite irritated by mom’s statement not only because my brother was rescued but also bunch of people were going to come home. First of all I have nothing but only animosity for family functions and then my house would be filled with all living creatures who talk incessantly. Gosh!! I simply hate such fuss.

I freshened up and went to mom in kitchen curious to know what's special in lunch for today.
"Muma, what special you cooking today?" I asked mom trying to make that baby like face.
"What do you want to have" Mom replied with sweet charming smile as always.
"Chicken obviously muma you know I'm pure chicken lover" I countered instantly.
"So go to market and get it along with all the other essentials" mom directed me.
"Ok! I will" I said and got ready to go to market.

As I stepped out of my house and started walking close to the street market i could sense - a public library of sights and smells brought to life by its buzzing activity, especially during the Sundays it was more pronounced. I walked down the street with the blithe gait of a young girl, awaiting the spectacular awakening of this busy hive. Soon, I could hear the buzz everywhere, the noise of vendors to out class each other in the sales of their product with a unique way of saying it bedazzled me every time I visited here. 
Though I always disliked noisy places, now my focus was clear that I had to get chicken at least it was going to distract my mind from bedlam at my place.

Around the corner, I could smell the fresh aroma of coffee and the baker's sweet buttery perfume. It was so fresh, so distinct; I could almost taste the rolls and pastries and drink the toasted coffee on the morning air.

Abutting on the sweet shop was a fruit market with a pungent orchard of essential juices. The grapes lay like frosted marbles in the baskets while the daffodil-yellow star fruits hung heavily on the silver hooks. Voluminous pineapples made their looming presence felt as they stared imposingly.

Strutting along the stone-paved sidewalk, I came across restaurants of every kind. Every restaurant had their distinctive auras - Chinese food with tangs of sweet and sour, Indian delicacies with the coaxing smell of curry leaves and spices, and Italian food with the rich smell of cheese and cream.

Then, I saw a newsagent, a scraggy old man who sat under a large golf umbrella, fanning himself with a newspaper folded under the torrid heat of the sun. The acrid headlines of the bold print of the New Paper caught my attention, as it sauced out the latest news and gossip. Too good to resist, I handed over the coins I had in exchange for the enchanting update of the news of the day.

As I walked past the fishmonger's briny bouquets in ice and salt, plain whiffs of blood and the putrid smell of decomposed fish assaulted my nostrils. The butcher store adjoining it was no comfort either and by that time, I felt awfully nauseated. But I had to bear that discomforting smell to enjoy my favourite meal. 

I started striding towards chicken shop but suddenly one kid bumped me. I was stumbled so I stopped to apologise to that small boy. I looked down hurriedly. His apparel was enough to perceive that he was street boy rather a beggar. He was so engrossed in something which was held very compactly with his both hands that falter didn’t bother him at all. He wasn’t even concerned to look at me who jolted him.

I said “hey I am sorry, are you okay?” it was outlandish that he didn’t even turn up at least to respond. I hadn’t seen his face, I was oblivious of what was exactly happening then a very irksome voice of toy mobile beeping in some Bollywood song tone got my attention. As soon as I searched from where this deafening voice was elating I was surprised when I perceived he holding the same thing in his hands so forcefully.
The shop was few feet away from me, I thought of getting rid of that kid and rather relentlessly frolicking annoying tone.

But before I could move, I sensed something has gone wrong. I saw a mob with lathi's and flags screeching out slogans walking towards the market area. They were protesting against some communal violence in northeast. I failed to understand the logic beyond this move though, to protest against violence forcing the same on others and disturbing the peace was far above my head.

The whole situation had started to get chaotic, the noise was booming me.  I recognised it was dicey to halt here so I was trying to plan my next move, about how to get back to safety. But before I could even think of something the inevitable occurred ; the riots begin. There was a wide-ranging chaos everywhere, everyone started to run for their life, I was utterly stunned by this abrupt deliberation of action in front of my eyes.
I had not witnessed such state of affairs before it was startling as well as boggling. All I could think of is to salvage myself as quickly as possible.

Then again my overhaul was snatched by that abandoned lad. It would have been ruthless leave him in that commotion. So I tapped his shoulder to pursue his attention. He reared and I was numb to after seeing that he was blind. Now there was no way other than compelling him with me.  I was frantically trying to find my way out of this hustled place, I held his right hand and started relocating away from the marketplace. He was too credulous moreover inept to grasp the turmoil around us. We started running randomly, my heart beats were resounding stridently for me. He was still stocked that mobile like device in his hand. We ran for few minutes, slowly racket turned blur, intensity of noise shrunk but still I couldn't take sigh of relief.

Foot tapping of our sandals was conspicuously audible other than my own palpitations and incessant tone.
Suddenly while moving I was disturbed by a soft feminine voice calling me from behind. After swift exploration I realized an old woman was shouting me from a small house beside me.

"Hey dear come inside, it’s not safe outside, things are getting worst, hurry up" the old woman decreed gently.

I had little option if any so I accepted her humble request and got in her house along with that blind child, all this while his toy mobile was continuously irritating me. The series of happenings since morning had made my mind go dazed. I conjectured how bad the day was gonna get now. She closed the door and told us rest for till the time everything gets back to normal. Just to check what was happening out I came closer to the window to kill my oddity. The window was closed but still from the glass panes I could figure out all the chaos taking place there. My heart beat settled down, I was hushed; It was relieving moment of concord. I opened window sluggishly to analyse situation.

The shops were been burned down, there was fire raging from the bakery that I had admired few moments back. A feeling of uneasiness had started to set in, I wondered if I was going to survive this scary day. Again that irritating noise from the toy got my attention and just to get my peace of mind I grabbed it from that boy and hunted for the off button to silent it for some time now.

I figured out there were two buttons a red one in left and green in the right of the panel. I was rolling my fingers over red button by accustomed estimation of it would finish it off. Then again I looked outside and then old lady yelled from other room and at that instant I mistakenly pressed red button.
Wham!!! Sound echoed all over in my ear. Shop was banged with fire. Before I could witness anymore explosion I lost my senses….

When I leisurely opened my eyes, I was on same bed. Mom was weeping her tears , dad was worriedly staring at me. I looked here and there,I was shaken when I looked at my flipping calendar was exhibiting 27. ‘My god, whole day had passed’ millions of questions shielded my mind ‘what happened to that kid? What about riots? Old lady? Riots? ’Surprisingly I even thought about my stupid family function ‘hush thank god I am rescued from that fuss’.

Mom and dad could capture my muddle. But no one was uttering a word. Suddenly my eyes perceived ineffable sight. The music player was kept on mute mode. I smiled I asked my dad that what’s exactly happening “why mom’s crying and that music player is mute?” I was astonished that I couldn’t speak it loudly. I tried to clear my throat thinking it must be choked. Then dad stopped my actions by holding my hands and directed to stay quite by keeping his finger on my mouth.

I was confused, I didn’t know what he was doing. He took notepad and scrubbed something on it by pen. I was just waiting for his next movement. He handed over the notepad to me. I wish I never had to face what happened next. But life is forbidding, we have to face it’s whether pleasing or agonies. I read it “Dear, we are really sorry. Yesterday in market you faced bomb explosion and because of that you have lost audibility forever, you will never able to hear anything now onwards”.

I was nonplussed. I yelled as loud as I could but I could not even hear elusive voice. I got numb,Tears started rolling down over my cheek. I felt deserted; I started looking all around my bedroom. I envisaged all possible voices from everything. Music player, my favourite wind champ, wall clock, ceiling fan, my so called annoying alarm clock. It was worst sentiment I could ever have!

And suddenly my bother entered, I was staring at my mom and him one by one. I recollected yesterday’s scenario, life was so diverse now. It reminded me each and everything happened exactly 24 hours ago.
How my mom was shouting at me, my brother irritated by playing songs, later market racket and every tiny sound which had maddened me. Suddenly my irritation blew away. Everything seemed wanted rather adoring…

It was of no use now. My creepy wish had spun true … I wanted a switch to turn off my audibility for desired time but unfortunately it's permanently switched OFF now….

I went back in my blanket. Where no one can interrupt my thoughts then I realised ‘oops now anyways no one can disturb me’ I felt pity for myself and I closed my eyes…


“You are still in bed. This is really height of laziness. Get up now” mom reprimanded. I was amused in happiness ‘gosh! I can hear’ but I couldn’t believe. Then I felt it was a dream, Very warm and pleasant dream!!! I didn’t open my eyes. I wanted to listen more. I wanted everyone to talk, I wanted noise!
At last my brother pulled blanket and I was left with no option. I got up and moved toward my table.
And what I saw what more pleasant than what I perceived before few seconds….my flipping calendar was showing date 26. I exclaimed in amazement “what!” and I heard it too.

It was jovial moment for me. I got up and turned on music player. I called my brother “hey dumbo come here I’ll show you magic”. He came and I was innocently smiling by gazing at that player. He couldn’t understand anything “you have gone mad. No sorry you are mad as usual”. He passed non sense comment and I even laughed over it without arguing with him. He was confused but before he could utter more senseless stuff I went to kitchen to see my mom.

Then exactly same things happened, but I rejected to go market that day. First time I enjoyed family get together by not considering it as just useless fuss.

 I was smiling whole day about what happened and what I had seen in the dream. Yeah it was a dream. A dreadful dream!!!

______________________________________________________________









P.S: The Story is a piece of fiction and resemblance to any person dead or alive is purely coincidental. 

5 comments:


  1. freak..nightmare it was!very well written..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather lengthy but well-penned ...indeed.. we should be careful what we wish for.even in our dreams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Rinaya Thanks for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete
  3. Very brilliantly penned, hats off to you Aditya and Sujal

    ReplyDelete

If you like the post, please feel free to write your review and suggestion here. I will be glad to hear from you.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Blogger Wordpress Gadgets